William Monk (1863 - 1937)
Architectural etcher William Monk was the foremost practitioner of this genre in Britain during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Born in Chester, he began his art studies at Albion House in his home town followed by advanced training at the Royal Academy, Antwerp. He is best known for his annual Calendarium Londinense, a 12” x 16” broadside containing a twelve-month calendar topped by one of his popular engravings of London landmarks, which he published from his studio at 118 New Bond Street, and which continued to be issued annually until 2004. A full member of the Royal Engravers from 1899, his work is held by numerous institutions including the Victoria and Albert Museum, the British Museum, and the Imperial War Museum. He died at London.
Last of St. James's Hall
Etching, ca. 1905; edition not stated. Image size 10¾” x 7-7/8”; sheet size 12½” x 10”. Very good overall condition, with some minor rippling along the upper edge.
St. James's Hall was designed by architect Owen Jones and built for music publishers Chappell & Co., and Cramer & Co. in 1858 as a venue for musical performances, Seating about 2,000, it was London's principal concert hall for nearly half a century but was torn down in 1905, found lacking in the amenities offered by several other more modern and comfortable venues.