Stanley Anderson (1884 - 1966)
Stanley Anderson was born in Bristol. His father, a silver engraver, provided him with an introduction to this demanding technique, but Stanley did not begin formal academic studies until 1909, studying at the Royal College of Art with Frank Short, and later at Goldsmith’s College. His formal training was enhanced by frequent visits to study works at the National Gallery and British Museum. In due course, Anderson took his place among the group of painter-etchers who sparked the revival of popular interest in this work.
Anderson became the engraving tutor at Goldsmiths', and from 1930 he was a faculty member at the British School at Rome. He became an associate member of the Royal Academy in1934, and became a full member seven years later. He was a frequent exhibitor at the Venice Biennale during the 1920s and 1930s, and exhibited at both the Chicago Society of Etchers and California society of Etchers during the 1930s.
He is perhaps best known for his limited edition engravings of country crafts, then entering a gradual period of decline, modeling local artisans in the vicinity of his cottage at Towersey in Oxfordshire, which he bought in 1933. For the most part, these engravings were produced in limited editions and are highly desirable. He created the last of his engravings in 1953.
Line engraving, 1941; edition of 350. Imge size 6” x 7½”; sheet size 8-3/8” x 12”. This edition was published by the Chicago Society of Etchers and bears its blind stamp. Signed by Anderson in the lower margin and titled in pencil. A bravura example of his masterful engraving in fine condition.